Monday, October 11, 2010
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
12 oz cottage cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Butter a 9" pie plate.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, cottage cheese, eggs, scallions, melted butte, and half of feta cheese. Scrape into pie plate, spread evenly, and sprinkle with rest of feta.
3. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool and serve.
Adapted from a recipe in Home Cooking Around the World by David Ricketts, which you can find here.
Thursday, October 7, 2010
1 large eggplant
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 tbsp safflower oil
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, diced
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1. Wash the eggplant and slice it in half length-wise. Cut/scoop some of the flesh out of the middle of each half to form a hole (to be stuffed later). Chop the eggplant flesh you've scooped out and set it aside.
2. Sauté onion in oil until it's translucent. Add chopped eggplant (and maybe a bit more oil if it sticks to the bottom of the pan) and continue to sauté until the eggplant is soft and nearly mushy. Then add canned tomatoes, garlic, and parsley and continue to cook for about another 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Place the eggplant halves hole side up on a tinfoil lined baking sheet or in a baking dish and fill each with the stuffing you just made. Bake at 375F for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the eggplant halves are very soft.
Makes about 4 servings
Pronunciation: patlejohn teh mbooshoorah
Fun fact: I listened to this traditional Albanian music while I cooked. Check it out!